About Me

My photo
I love the sunrise. I love staring out into the horizon in front of me, feeling the sun's glow, and losing myself in my own world of thoughts... I love being awake when the world around me is fast asleep, and staring into the distance at the tiny glimmering ball of fire as it shyly creeps into my world… Each sunrise brings to me a new day and with it a fresh start. An opportunity to do things differently, see things from a different point of view... but best of all, an opportunity to ponder over the day ahead, giving a new chance every day to live...

Thursday, August 24, 2006


It's not about who you are...

Musical Mood: No Matter What - Boyzone.


This post was written very in line with the theme(s) of my blog - being lost in thoughts and sunrises. I wrote this one fine morning between around 7:29 a.m. and 8:11 a.m., whilst sitting on the windowsill in a hotel room on the fifteenth floor, with a part of the world around me asleep (the other part, out of the window, was wide awake since it wasn't too early in the morning and I was in a city), looking out into the horizon to find a beautiful dawn awaiting me. I soon found myself (as usual) lost in thoughts, and that urged me to scribble down these thoughts. Armed with a hotel pillow behind me for comfort, my legs stretched out, my hair a soft mess and a (very) bad morning breath, I began to write on the small complimentary letter pads they give you, using the pen they also give you with the name of the hotel on it, since I didn't think to bring writing material with me whilst on a busy holiday in a city. Sheesh, I find the most random places to want to write down my world of thoughts... *smile*

PS: My sincere apologies if I waste your time during your reading this. The idea behind this post is that I can voice my random thoughts out, that they will serve as memoirs for me to look back on. If what I ramble on about makes sense to you, great. If not.. your loss. Kidding!


... it's about the way you react. The way you respond to the situations life throws at you. How you handle stress and pressure, how you deal with the world hating you. Do you panic and worry, or do you handle it calmly? Or does it depend on the situation? Is it tears at every consecutive beat in the song, or laughter?

... it's about the way you act. The way you are, and the way you show yourself to the world. Are you an immature child or a mature adult? Are you an adult with a child's mind, or a child with an adult's mind? Or are you a quirky combination of the two, a unique identity that fits into none of these categories?

... it's about the way you feel. The way things matter to you. How important are the issues perturbing the world to you? Do you feel strongly about any of them? Or could you not care less?

... it's about the way you think. The way your thoughts flow, which angle you see the world from. Are you a doer or a thinker? Are things the way they seem to you? Do your thoughts go down a simple, one-way route, or do they ebb and flow, meander this way and that way, blow in various directions all at once? How does your eye, your mind, see life?

... it's about the way you live. The way you lead and execute your life, the way you make decisions. Do you live in your own comfort zone the way that society has created for you, or do you live like a free bird with no one set of rules for the wide and varied set of encounters with life you are going to have? Or do you strike a balance between the two, where no one else may be, but where you're happy? Do you follow logic and sensibility, or do you throw caution to the wind and let your heart and your instincts rule your life? Or do you find yourself a niche between the two extremes?

... it's about the way you interact. The way you contribute (or not) to the various worlds your life has to juggle. Are you a loner, or a people's person? Or are you a loner who is a people's person? Maybe even a people's person who is a loner? How much do you contribute to the world you live in? Are you an active part of every project of your life, or do you prefer to lurk in the shadows peacefully? Do you only express yourself when the occasion rises, or do you voice yourself wherever you are, whatever the situation? For you, are matters of the heart meant to be spoken of freely? Or are they emotions that can only be felt by those who need to feel them? Are there certain topics that are best not talked about, or is there no topic taboo enough for you?

... it's about the way you believe. The way your morals and beliefs spread out. Do you believe everything that you are told, or do you question everything that you are told? Do you believe instantly, or does it take you ages to embrace a belief? Or does it vary from idea to idea? Are your beliefs strong and solid, or are they simple and open? Do your beliefs stay fixed and grow stronger with time, or do they change with every page of life you turn, every new chapter of life you walk into? Do you believe in yourself?

... it's about the way you love. And I mean it in every sense of the word, because each aspect is as important as the other. Are you cold and cruel, or are you caring and compassionate? Do you love everyone in this world as your own, or do you only love those tattoed in your heart? Are you quick to love people, or does it take you a long time to find those who have proved themselves worthy of your love? Do you put names to those you love, or is each relationship so unique and special that you find it restricting to give it a name? Or do you find a way of giving each relationship an identity that works for you, if not anyone else? Are you a 'handshakes person' or a 'hugs person'? Or do you express your love differently with different people? Are you a gentle and innocent lover, or do you love wildly and passionately?

No, it's not about who you are, or your personal identity at all. These are just walls that barricade your understanding of people.

It's about your personality; your degree of insanity.

It's about your attitude.
(And please, listen to what Mr. Finch is telling you at the top right corner of my blog. You haven't walked around in my skin for long enough yet, so don't judge me as anything! ;))

17 comments:

Movie Mazaa said...

Thats an alternative way of looking at things, Sunrise, and a very optimistic one at that.

I especially loved the way u described the setting behind this composition, at the beginning. Sure made a pleasnt read! Thx!

DJ said...

that is areally interesting piece of writing after reading which you can't help but get lost in thoughts. Really enjoyed reading.

Until I read your comment, I was also confused about what you meant by 'who', because those are all the attributes that make up who you are. That's what define you as an individual. but then, you were looking at a different meaning of 'who'.

The way look like may not be the most important thing, but in some ways it is a representation of the person behind it. The way you dress, the way you walk and talk, the type of people you hang out with, the type of job you do; they are all in one way or the other affected by those attributes that you've talked about, by how you think.

just my 1 and 1/5 cents :-)

DJ said...

Sunrise, you are really goot at putting what you think into writing, and do that beautifully. I so much envy you for that.

--Sunrise-- said...

"Sunrise, you are really goot at putting what you think into writing, and do that beautifully. I so much envy you for that."

wow. thank you! that means a lot, considering i think i'm terrible at putting down my thoughts into writing... :S :)

Aditi said...

Very true.. as they say.. life isnt about what happens to you but what you do thereafter.. that makes defines you..very well put

Keshi said...

true...but dont all of that make up who u really r? :)

Keshi.

--Sunrise-- said...

aswin: welcome!

aditi: thank you...!

keshi: i know, but i was using 'who' in a different sense of the word... read my previous comments (if you can be bothered... lol) on it above... :)

sanjay jha said...

nameste sunrise,
i discovered you through all my blogger friends who have visited here already.
i liked the post,its very good start,but why the warning in the end???
looking forward to more of you!!!
cheers.
jhaji.

http://jhaji-jhaji.blogspot.com/

Keshi said...

I gotcha ;-) tnxxx!

Keshi.

Mechanism8 said...

more "substance then style" if i had to sum your post up. I guees it's true what you wrote. Its not really about blaise' views when it comes to being oneself but rather accepting the person one is. The world merely suggests the person we are and or could be but in the end its us who decide who we want to be. Very profound post I must say. :)

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely incredible. Decided to pay a return visit, and I sure am glad I did. Not only are you an incredible writer, but you quote Mr. Finch, my favorite character from one of my favorite books and movies. Thanks for the visit -- I'll be sure to come back here again!

Kent Page said...

Hey, Sunrise! Thanks for the visit! Your post reminded me of the times I worked the night shift at a California steel mill. I would go up to the roof of our tower and watch the sunset, and like you, be lost in thought. One thing your post reminded me of is wondering why people react the way they do. I remember one time my wife asking me several years ago, "How do you always remain so calm and cool" She has always been high strung, and flys off the handle reacting negatively to most situations. Well, back then I didn't know what to say, so I answered, rather stupidly,"Because I choose to". It wasn't until later that I realized how my answer had been right on the money. I believe now that we are a person in two parts. It's really hard for me to describe it fully, maybe I'll attempt it in a future post. But I'll suffice to say that our emotions are in one part of the self, and our soul which makes us who we are is in the other. Emotions will always come to the surface, and we will feel them come as a wave, because that is part of being human. And emotions are powerful enough to control our reactions, if we let it. But we can control the way we react with merely a thought. We can acknowledge our feelings, but not let them control us. As long as you think of yourself as made up of two parts...

Anonymous said...

wah,sunrise..it's a fantastic read!Enjoyed it fully..
And gud to see u on moi blog..keep visiting..

Mechanism8 said...

I reffered your article to a friend, she was deeply moved by how profound it was. I think you wrote well and my personal fav was the "... it's about the way you think." bit. I believe tht there are often 2 types of people in the world the people that thinking about effecting changes and those who put themselves out there effecting change. :)

Movie Mazaa said...

No new posts around here????
:)

butterflygirl said...

Great post. It is all so true!!!

Diligent Candy said...

Really nice post...love the way you end it! So so so true!